On 19 Jan 2000, Rui-Tao Dong wrote:

>  Erunantion> Well, my first thought is - get more ram. though what
>  Erunantion> exactly is this backstore thing?
>
> Well, it takes 5V 168pin EDO/ECC DIMM, which isn't cheap comparing
> with commodity memory.  That's part of the reason that I am looking
> for a new machine.  Also, I haven't seen any significant speed up from
> my 384MB machine.

Yeah, i know that you mean as far as ram prices go.... i could use more
for my system, but i don't have the cash for it.

> Do you know what Alpha is that?  I am also thinking about a previous
> generation 533MHz 164SX.  Quite a few were sold for $250 (CPU & MB) a
> while back on EBay.  I don't know where to find it now.

here's the info he knows about the alpha:

AlphaPC 164LX
600mhz EV5 chip
4mb L1 cache
256mb ECC PC100 SDRAM
6gb Ultr5a SCSI 2 HD

he doesn't know about the price of one, since he got it through work.

> --
> Regards,
>
>       Rui-Tao Dong                    Newport Corporation
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               1791 Deere Avenue
>       (949)253-1679(Voice)            Irvine, CA 92606 USA
>       (949)253-1240(Fax)              http://www.newport.com

        Jonathan Erbe           aka             Erunantion
                     The Annals of Middle-earth
                <"http://rush.baked.net/~jerbel/">
             E-mail me at <"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">