I also love the permeability of GO. And I think it's very important
to be able to discuss politics and religion, as these are really central
to much of the literature that we discuss. It would be difficult to
discuss Pullman, C.S. Lewis, Antonia Forest, or most 19th-century
authors without some reference to politics or religion.

I love the fact that GO is very international and varied and that one
can get the perspectives of people from a huge variety of countries,
age-groups, religions, and political viewpoints. I have learned a lot,
and adjusted some of my own assumptions.

I would be very sad if this list became just another list that
required one to just post on very specific topics, and discouraged
all off-topic comment.

In other words, I, too, would like GO to remain as it is.

However, my interpretation of Helen's remark was not that certain
topics are banned and anyone who posts on them will be promptly
censored. It does seem that there are a few topics that arouse
very strong feelings in some people, and can lead them to
attempt to 'spank' and 'censor' people who post on these subjects.
This sort of thing is not always confined to politics or religion.
I think that for most people, being 'spanked' by other list members
is actually more intimidating than being 'spanked' by a moderator,
because it feels more personal. Having some possibilities for action
by a moderator in extreme cases, may actually reduce some people's
nervousness about posting.

Ann