Aaron Sundsmo's call for low-cost, low-bandwidth email technology is
exactly what VITA pushed for many years through the low orbiting
satellite store-and-forward email system designed for remote areas. We
had wonderful demos using this technology, but, sadly, the technology
could not be commercialized on a for-profit basis. Efforts continue,
however, on a "humanitarian" basis. For probably $100K or less,
replicable ground segment (ground-based terminals) could be tweaked and
field tested (major development has already occurred). For the space
segment (satellites) we would either have to go "piggy-back" on someone
else's satellites (using the UK-based Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
proven platform) or, if an underwriter could be found for about $3
million, launch a dedicated satellite.

If anybody would like more info on this or would like to offer
suggestions, please write me offline (and I will be happy to
collate/share responses with the network).

Gary

Gary Garriott
ICT for Development Advisor
Panama SURF - UNDP