At some point hitherto, Benjamin Scott hath spake thusly:

>   More effort has now been spent on this thread than will ever be spent
> summarizing anything.

Sometimes, when one is a member of a loose community such as this one,
it is worth spending a little "non-productive" time on establishing
what minimal protocol, if any, the group should be expected to follow.
With e-mail lists in general, such protocol often includes things like
how much off-topic posting is considered tolerable; whether message
attachments are allowable, and if so how large they can be; how much
quoting is considered appropriate or inappropriate; whether to munge
headers or not; how much information to provide when providing links;
etc.

Civilization is all about coming to a concensus on what is acceptable
behavior, and what isn't.  Any society, organization, or group has
protocol.  Some are well published and well understood; others are
less so.  Ben's point about people all being different and having
different opinions is a good one, and is the very reason we have
things like laws, rules, and protocols.  Having published protocols is
a good way to prevent new members of the community from behaving in
such a way as to offend veteran members, as well as to help them
understand what behaviors they might not prefer which the group
considers acceptable (and therefore to be tolerated).  This is what
good communication is all about, and from my perspective, good
communication is the reason mailing lists like this one exist.

The intent of my message was not to start a flame war, but to
*propose* that we, as a group, decide that part of our group protocol
be to include some non-zero amount of information about links that we
provide -- at least providing enough to allow the reader, who may or
may not be interested in the subject matter, to make a decision as to
whether the information provided is of interest.

I was also not accusing Ben of not doing this.  Despite his
disclaimer, he did provide some minimal amount of information about
his link (though personally I would have preferred just a little
more).  However, many people do provide links without *any* useful
information.  The disclaimer Ben provided (in saying he'd prefer not
to misquote or misinterpret the subject material) suggested that in
some cases this is preferable, which I personally feel is never the
case.  As the reader, in my opinion, it is always preferable that a
poster provide at least *some* information about the post.  It was my
intent to determine whether the group, as a whole, could come to a
concensus one way or another as to whether or not it should be
considered desireable to provide a minimum of information about links
that are posted.

Instead, it seems that we, as a group, are nearly incapable of having
such questions asked without someone getting offended, or providing an
offensive answer.  I do not believe that the questions posed in my
original post on this topic warranted offense.  Nevertheless, I
apologize if I offended anyone.

- --
Derek Martin               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!
GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu
Learn more about it at http://www.gnupg.org