[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Putting it under /usr
> doesn't really make sense -- /usr is where static files live, not
> user data.

This does seem to be a best practice nowadays.

However, there used to be a time when user directories used to be
placed under /usr.  Then things changed, and everybody started using
<other directories>, most notably, /home .

What were the reasons for this change?  I can see a couple of reasons,
most notably:

    o  using /home can help facilitate a NFS/automounter (etc.)
       environment.  (a lot of sites have /home mapped to a central
       server)

    o  splitting users directories off from /usr (where other system
       things are held) can be useful when it comes time for doing
       backups or an OS install/upgrade/recovery.

I guess, in short, it's a bit of convenience to have users directories
all grouped together.  But are there any other reasons that I'm
overlooking?

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)