In a message dated: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:44:59 PDT
Ken Ambrose said:

>On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Which is also one of the reasons it takes Debian 2.5 years to issue a
>> new release!
>
>Oh, come, come -- it's not really -that- quick, is it?  ;-)

This most recent one was only 2.5 years.  I believe slink->potatoe
took 3 years :)

>Alas, QA has one (or two, depending on how you look at it) strike(s)
>against it:
>- it's not "sexy," which means relatively few do it voluntarily, which means
>- it costs money.

I'm actually suprised more people don't want to do QA.  I mean, it's
rare that you can actually get paid for breaking things.  The real
bonus is that once you break them, you don't have to fix them, you
get to pass that ball to someone else in "development" :)

>Fer Pete's sake: my first slackware base install was something like 8
>floppies (plus boot & root).

I remember my first Slackware install.  3.0, about 8 floppies, unless
you wanted Emacs, then it was 25 :)

>I imagine Mandrake will hit that number of CD-ROMs soon, if they haven't
>already!  Funny -- that roughly follows Moore's Law.  I wonder if there's
>a correlation?  [Ken in 2010: "Sheesh!  Where'd I put DVD #17?"]

I believe the latest Debian release *is* 7 or 8 CDs at this point!

Personally, I beginning to think it's far easier to just install a
base OS (similar to what you get with commercial UNIXes), then do
something like apt-get or rpm-up2date to install new, non-OS stuff.
--

Seeya,
Paul