On Oct 12, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Marcin Wojnarski <mwojnar...@paperity.org> wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
> We started with Gold, because we believe that journals play a fundamental
> role in the system
> of scholarly communication and every service that tries to facilitate access
> to literature must
> start with journals, not only with a flat collection of papers like the one
> found in repositories.

Dear Marcin,

I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding here.

Green OA consists of self-archived journal articles and their bibliographic
metadata — including
journal name.

And institutional repositories consist of an institution’s journal article
output.

Nothing “flat” about those!

Were you perhaps thinking that repositories just contain unpublished preprints
and gray
literature?

> For 400 years, journals have been the backbone of the system, the main
> structural element.

I don’t understand why you are pointing this out: From the very outset the Open
Access movement
has been very specifically about opening access to journal articles. Please see
the original BOAI statement:
http://www.budapestopenaccessinitiative.org/read

"The literature that should be freely accessible online is that which scholars
give to the world without expectation of payment. Primarily, this category
encompasses their peer-reviewed journal articles…"

> They provide a brand name for papers, create consistent editoral policy and
> take responsibility
> for the quality and relevance of articles they publish - these features are
> of topmost importance
> for readers, without them navigating through millions of articles becomes
> infeasible.

Marcin, it remains clear why you are telling us this. We all know it. What I
asked you was:

>> Harvesting Gold OA journal articles is a piece of cake. How will
>> Paperity/redex harvest

>> Green OA articles published in non-OA journals but made OA somewhere on the

>> Web

> That said, we're fully aware how much great unique content there is in
> repositories and we’d
> like very much to merge these two streams - Gold and Green - in Paperity at
> some point.

The great unique content in repositories is the very same great unique content
that there is in journals.
Gold OA and Green OA both consist of journal articles. There are many more
non-Gold journals
and non-Gold journal-articles than Gold ones.

Why is Paperity focusing on Gold?

Why is all the rest only to be merged "at some point”?

And how, exactly?

> Although there are some tensions inside OA community between the Gold and
> Green camps,
> I think they are unjustified, because these routes are complementary, not
> competitive.

You are quite right, the two roads to OA are complementary, not competitive.

But in order to complement one another they must both be clearly understood,
and much
of the tension is about misunderstandings, for example, that OA = Gold OA while
Green OA
is about something else (preprints, gray literature).

And another point of tension is about priorities: Which needs to come first,
Gold or Green?

(My own reply is that it is for many important reasons Green that must come
first: (1) because
Green does not cost the author money, (2) because Green  can be mandated by
institutions and
funders, and (3) because by coming first Green will make subscriptions
unsustainable, force
journals to cut obsolete costs, downsize to providing peer review alone, and
convert to
to affordable, sustainable, Fair Gold instead of today’s over-priced,
double-paid pre-Green Fools Gold.
http://j.mp/fairgoldOA

> As to indexing, it is actually much easier to be done for repositories than
> for journals,
> because most repos expose standardized interfaces.

Then why is Paperity starting with Gold OA journal articles instead of Green OA
journal
articles in repositories?

> So we don't need Google Scholar for this purpose, only as I said, we believe
> that the
> right order is journals first.

What you have said it that you believe the right order is Gold OA first, but
you have
certainly not explained why — apart from the fact that Gold OA is certainly much
easier to access and aggregate:

Gold OA journal article blibliographic data can be harvested from the journals’
websites using DOAJ to identify all the journals.

But how are you going to find all the Green OA journal articles, if not with
Google Scholar? (WoS or SCOPUS can find you all journal articles, but
but won’t tell you which ones are Green OA.)

(BASE provides some of these data; ROAR 2.0 will soon provide it all.)

Best wishes,
Stevan