On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

My Windows 7, GRASS 7.0.4 shows identical .libPaths() values both inside
and out with RGui. I don't know how the location of the personal library
folder is recorded - is it in the registry? How might one know? It looks
like:

Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")

tested within a winGRASS7.0.5 session:

Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")
[1] "C:\\Users\\test/R/win-library/3.3"
.libPaths()
[1] "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.3.1/library"

R_LIBS_USER is listed there within the winGRASS session, but the path itself
looks odd.

Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this with stand-alone GRASS 7.0.5 or 7.2, Windows 7 Pro, R 3.3.2. I see the same .libPaths() values inside and outside. But see below - I found out how to reproduce the problem predictably.

The reason was (of course) that I'd forgotten that I had set R_LIBS_USER in Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables. I'd done this as a response to the extra work caused at each annual change of the default address as R's version was incremented. See also:

https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/libPaths.html

So a workaround might to use the R_LIBS_USER environment variable in that setting, checking that the directory exists. R uses it internally as generated, but doesn't export it. I don't know how this plays cross-platform.

Best wishes,

Roger

outside a winGRASS7.0.5/7.2.svn session, everthing is ok with these
variables (see above).

-----
best regards
Helmut

Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: roger.biv...@nhh.no
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140
http://depsy.org/person/434412