On 4/08/2016, 12:11 PM, "Christopher Morrow"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>DISCUSS:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Firstly, thank you for documenting operational practice.
>
>With regards to section 3.3:
>
>"BGP speakers SHOULD only accept and honor BGP announcements carrying the
>BLACKHOLE community .."
>
>
>
>
>I'd note (and I'm surprised no one else noted already, especially you)
>this odd bit of language:
>(I'm mad I didn't see it earlier as well, actually)
>
>
>  "It has been observed that announcements of IP prefixes larger than
>   /24 for IPv4 and /48 for IPv6 are usually not accepted on the
>   Internet (see section 6.1.3 [RFC7454]).  However, blackhole routes
>   should be as small as possible?"
>
>
>So: "Large prefixes == /24 or /48"
>but: "small prefixes == /32 or /128"
>
>
>err, small/large, long/short... there's inconsistent use of these terms
>here, I think. At the least it's a bit confusing.
>I'd have stuck with:
>  "It has been observed that announcements of IP prefixes LONGER than
>   /24 for IPv4 and /48 for IPv6 are usually not accepted on the
>   Internet (see section 6.1.3 [RFC7454]).  However, blackhole routes
>   should be as LONG as possible"
>
>
>(I prefer longer/shorter for prefix stuff)

Ditto, and thanks for noticing that :-)

>
>
>So, back to your discuss though:
>  "BGP speakers SHOULD only accept and honor BGP announcements carrying
>   the BLACKHOLE community if the announced prefix is covered by a
>   shorter prefix for which the neighboring network is authorized to
>   advertise."
>
>
>(note that 'shorter' is used here...again making the above bit more
>confiusing with smaller/larger)
>
>
>MUST vs SHOULD for this, I do think the MUST would be easy to handle. Is
>this a problem in an RS situation? Probbaly not... on the RS, but on the
>distant peer, it likely is hard(er) to deal with. I don't imagine many
>folk prefix filter the RS session very
> tightly only because memberships come/go and you may not always get
>timely notice (I have no idea when people come/go at the IX's I connect
>to).
>
>So, SHOULD makes some sense to me, at least in the RS peer/distant-peer
>world. Surely for direct BGP peerings MUST is a better idea, I think.
>

I think then there is a difference here worth pointing out. It isn't a
"one size fits all" approach and the nuances are important.

>
>I really question why this is a "SHOULD" and not a "MUST", even in an
>informational RFC. Is the ability for a transit provider so loose that
>appropriate route filters from a peer ASN can't be applied so that only a
>"SHOULD" is practical? In which case I do question the sanity of making
>such a recommendation and thus service available if some other ASN might
>be able to inject the route and affect another service, even by mistake.
>Potentially if RPKI is in use, then a peer AS might be able to validate
>the announcement against a ROA. But it strikes me that this is not the
>machinery you would want to tack on in this case.
>
>
>
>
>
>job and I chatted a bit about this (oddly, prior to your note here) and
>one thing to keep in mind with RPKI is that the ROA Owner (publisher?)
>would have to first know their special-prefix was going to be attacked,
>then set the ROA up (as a /32 or as a
> supernet -> /32). I'm skeptical of that being done, certainly today
>there are virtually no /32 ROA in the system.
>
>
>RPKI probably isn't the tool to use here, for this.

Agreed. Please explicitly state this. I could honestly see that someone
falling into the (sad) trap of:
A) we are being DDoS'd
B) we need to BLACKHOLE a.b.c.d/32
c) Provider X says RPKI ROA first
D) DDoS'd, so can't push ROA == Fail.

Moreover, if the BGP peer IS RPKI validating and the ROA is structured to
have a maxLength=/24 and the prefix owner wants to blackhole a particular
/32, the validation state would be INVALID.

That implies that this technique is blocked by RPKI validation, yes? no?
I'm no expert on juniper/cisco in-code validation logic. If I am following
the logic correctly, if you want to blackhole by sending a more specific
blackhole tagged route to your BGP peer for blackhole purposes, that peer
must not do RPKI validation or the ROA needs to be setup in advance. Which
seems a non-starter for RPKI as nearly every ROA would then need a
maxLength of a /32 or /128 *JUST INCASE* an address within a least
specific prefix was targeted in a DDoS.

> 
>
>The same could be said for section 3.2. I would be rather wary of NOT
>adding a NO_ADVERTISE (at the very least) and to be honest SHOULD still
>seems far too loose for me. Almost all of the recipe's that I've gazed
>upon
>
>
>
>
>
>... you trailed off... I bet it was something like:"gazed upon
>require/use NO-advertise on the ISP side and no-export on the customer
>side
>

Yes, I did.. coffee called and I lodged the DISCUSS before finishing my
text. Sorry. It was good coffee.

And yes. That is what I intended to say. :)

>
>that's the recipe I setup when last i was an ISP...
>I think the hesitancy for 'MUST' there is that there are cases in use
>today where you would send a route-server the /32 + commnuity and WANT
>that to get to the remote peers.

I think then that this nuanced usage needs to be captured here, and
provide the rationale for doing exactly that.


>
>If the RS did 'no-advertise' the route won't make it to the remote peer :(
> 

Granted.

>
>
>I can also imagine that an ISP network may just accept the /32 with
>'isp-blackhole-community' and for expediency reset next-hop to their
>blackhole, and ship that in IBGP so their mesh gets the data 'fast'.
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>COMMENT:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>From a comment point of view, this informational document is agnostic on
>any operational differences between 2-byte and 4-byte ASNs. Is that
>intentional? Are there any operational differences worth calling out in
>regard to using extended communities etc?
>

Any feedback on the comment?

Cheers
Terry

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

Reply via email to