On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Terry Manderson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
>
> On 4/08/2016, 12:11 PM, "Christopher Morrow"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >So, back to your discuss though:
> >  "BGP speakers SHOULD only accept and honor BGP announcements carrying
> >   the BLACKHOLE community if the announced prefix is covered by a
> >   shorter prefix for which the neighboring network is authorized to
> >   advertise."
> >
> >
> >(note that 'shorter' is used here...again making the above bit more
> >confiusing with smaller/larger)
> >
> >
> >MUST vs SHOULD for this, I do think the MUST would be easy to handle. Is
> >this a problem in an RS situation? Probbaly not... on the RS, but on the
> >distant peer, it likely is hard(er) to deal with. I don't imagine many
> >folk prefix filter the RS session very
> > tightly only because memberships come/go and you may not always get
> >timely notice (I have no idea when people come/go at the IX's I connect
> >to).
> >
> >So, SHOULD makes some sense to me, at least in the RS peer/distant-peer
> >world. Surely for direct BGP peerings MUST is a better idea, I think.
> >
>
> I think then there is a difference here worth pointing out. It isn't a
> "one size fits all" approach and the nuances are important.
>
>
can you propose some text that the authors could inject?


> >
> >I really question why this is a "SHOULD" and not a "MUST", even in an
> >informational RFC. Is the ability for a transit provider so loose that
> >appropriate route filters from a peer ASN can't be applied so that only a
> >"SHOULD" is practical? In which case I do question the sanity of making
> >such a recommendation and thus service available if some other ASN might
> >be able to inject the route and affect another service, even by mistake.
> >Potentially if RPKI is in use, then a peer AS might be able to validate
> >the announcement against a ROA. But it strikes me that this is not the
> >machinery you would want to tack on in this case.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >job and I chatted a bit about this (oddly, prior to your note here) and
> >one thing to keep in mind with RPKI is that the ROA Owner (publisher?)
> >would have to first know their special-prefix was going to be attacked,
> >then set the ROA up (as a /32 or as a
> > supernet -> /32). I'm skeptical of that being done, certainly today
> >there are virtually no /32 ROA in the system.
> >
> >
> >RPKI probably isn't the tool to use here, for this.
>
> Agreed. Please explicitly state this. I could honestly see that someone
> falling into the (sad) trap of:
> A) we are being DDoS'd
> B) we need to BLACKHOLE a.b.c.d/32
> c) Provider X says RPKI ROA first
> D) DDoS'd, so can't push ROA == Fail.
>
> Moreover, if the BGP peer IS RPKI validating and the ROA is structured to
> have a maxLength=/24 and the prefix owner wants to blackhole a particular
> /32, the validation state would be INVALID.
>
> That implies that this technique is blocked by RPKI validation, yes? no?
> I'm no expert on juniper/cisco in-code validation logic. If I am following
> the logic correctly, if you want to blackhole by sending a more specific
> blackhole tagged route to your BGP peer for blackhole purposes, that peer
> must not do RPKI validation or the ROA needs to be setup in advance. Which
> seems a non-starter for RPKI as nearly every ROA would then need a
> maxLength of a /32 or /128 *JUST INCASE* an address within a least
> specific prefix was targeted in a DDoS.
>
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >COMMENT:
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >>From a comment point of view, this informational document is agnostic on
> >any operational differences between 2-byte and 4-byte ASNs. Is that
> >intentional? Are there any operational differences worth calling out in
> >regard to using extended communities etc?
> >
>
> Any feedback on the comment?
>
>
nope, I think extended communities with 4byte-asn is a problem though :(
_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

Reply via email to