Hello Nikolaus,

> It looks as if it is much more often reporting accelerometer events (ca.
15ms) than the 4.16 kernel (ca. 100-200ms).

> But neither change has the effect of making the graphics faster and
smoother.

> So there is likely a third factor involved when comparing to GTA02.

no, I think you've found the cause!

100-200ms results in a frame rate of 5 to 10 Hz which is awfully slow!

We all know that for a smooth motion presentation 20 to 25 Hz are needed
at least!

Very old black and white films had 16 pictures per second and at least the
older ones of us still know how jerking they looked.

Best regards
   Sven

Von:    "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <h...@goldelico.com>
An:     List for communicating with real GTA04 owners
<gta04-owner@goldelico.com>
Datum:  17.04.2018 16:16
Betreff:        Re: [Gta04-owner] Second trial with QtMoko2
Gesendet von:   "Gta04-owner" <gta04-owner-boun...@goldelico.com>

Hi Sven,

Am 17.04.2018 um 15:46 schrieb Sven Dyroff <s.dyr...@phytec.de>:

Hello Nikolaus,

> The A3 has a HMC5883, the A4 has BMA180, the A5 has a BMC150 and the
Pyra has a BMC150 or BNO055.
> So different sensor chips all seem to have the same effects.
>
> Therefore, I think it is not the low level chip driver (we always use
the iio driver
> of Linux) but something on higher level up into QtMaze...

perhaps the accelerometer drivers of Linux kernels without device tree
behave different than those with device tree?

Indeed. I did a test to install letux-3.7-neil-plus-plus kernel on the µSD
with latest QtMoko
and (after haking some boot problems), I could run evtest /dev/input/accel
as well.

It looks as if it is much more often reporting accelerometer events (ca.
15ms) than the 4.16 kernel (ca. 100-200ms).

This means either the chip drivers or the input event system has changed -
or both.

And I had found a bug in Radek's original GTA04 code which is less a
problem for
fast accelerometer reports but for those coming more rarely.

But neither change has the effect of making the graphics faster and
smoother.

So there is likely a third factor involved when comparing to GTA02.

BR,
Nikolaus