Aloha, saletti zäme, howdy and shalom!

Quite some work has been invested so I can now proudly(?) present to
y'all a version of the auto-upgrade bot which I believe is ready for
your tests and initial input.

The script is far from finished, the code not very nice atm, but I think
as a starting point for future improvements this is good enough.  Also I
am soon leaving for holidays and am letting two bots running.  Don't
hesitate to merge the PRs (given they match our expectations), close
them otherwise and/or open issues on the repo.


To get started, simply clone the repository¹.  Everything necessary
*should* be explained in the README.  If you use the `run_it` runner
script, MAKE SURE TO CONFIGURE THE `author.email` FIELD IN THE
.gitconfig FILE, otherwise the committer script will just fail....


Currently I have a (slightly outdated, but nevertheless working) version
attempting to update `(gnu packages electronics)` packages on the f-si
build server (it has been building the `-P1` dependents of
python-klayout on its 12 cores for some days now) and am running an
instance updating the audio module on my personal workstation.


I have been glancing on the program's outputs since it hints towards
opportunities (No upgrader available, build failures) as well as
problems with the underlying tooling (mainly `guix refresh`) and have
opened Issues on Codeberg accordingly (see #11010 #11012 #11013).


The current version is good enough™ for the simplest use-cases of
package upgrades.  Future improvements will entail:

 - directly informing teams about update failures,
 - choosing adequate topic branches for updates triggering (almost)
 world-rebuilds,
 - keeping state so impossible attempts are not repeated unnecessarily,
 - tidying up code a bunch

and probably some more.


I guess it would make sense for people to announce when they get an
instance (e.g. for a (gnu packages) module) up and running, so we
prevent unnecessary resource waste somewhat.


I hope you have fun giving the script a try!  Don't hesitate to provide
feedback in form of Codeberg Issues and/or Pull Requests.  If you have
input which is of a broader nature, I guess opening the discussion here
(on guix-devel) is fine as well.


So... Let's become the most up-to-date distro with the least human
interaction, right!?  Are we ready for the next bottlenecks in line?


I wish you the best of times—as usual!  Stay safe, healthy and awesome
as you are!  Keep it real

gabriel / gabber


¹ https://codeberg.org/gabber/GGABS

Reply via email to