Hello,

Le mar. 15 sept. 2026 à 14:37, Ricardo Wurmus <[email protected]> a écrit :
> The rest of your message is an argument invoking defeatist inevitability

AI inevitability: yes, pretty much.
Defeatist: no. Quite the contrary. I love AI. It's far from perfect,
and I'm very well aware of the dangers. Either way, IMO, the
advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I use it every day on
several paid and free accounts, and I occasionally experiment with
local LLMs.
It greatly helps me make money to pay my bills and donate a small
portion of it to Guix every month. Am I biased? Yeah, in a way.

> with a bit of FOMO

Not just a bit of FOMO. I'm convinced that AI and LLMs are among the
most important inventions of our lifetime. Missing it would be a
blunder. I see that the majority of people here have different
opinions. Time will tell who was right.

> You really should not let your well-developed sense of superiority allow you 
> to belittle others. This is not what I expect to see on this list, and I'm 
> saddened that you think this constitutes appropriate communication here.

Belittling others was definitely NOT my intention.

Either way, I asked the AI: "Please tell me: What is the tone of the
text below [i.e. this part of Ricardo's email]? What do you think
about the person who wrote it?"
Response (abbreviated):

% The tone is reproachful, disapproving, and morally corrective, with
a noticeable degree of condescension [...]
% The writer is therefore doing something somewhat paradoxical:
reprimanding someone for belittling others while using belittling
language themselves.
% [...]
% "This is not what I expect to see on this list" [...] implicitly
positions the writer as someone entitled to judge what belongs there.
% [The email] contains a fairly direct personal insult of its own."

¯\_("/)_/¯

https://chatgpt.com/share/6aa958fa-2dfc-83ed-9bc0-c1ef3d03ee0c

Bost

Reply via email to