Hello,

My next thoughts are written as is. Sorry for the messiness.


Le 9 octobre 2026 16:08:14 GMT+02:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <[email protected]> a écrit :

>As as been said before, we accept contributions in formats other than
>Texinfo, but perhaps that is not clear enough.

I don't see how it is possible without somebody converting it to texinfo at 
some point. So it adds yet another step between ideation and publication.

I just took 3 minutes trying to find any information on how to contribute to 
the Cookbook and did not find anything. So yes, it is not clear enough.

>If reviews are a blocker, then, in a way, it’s working as intended:
>reviews exist to consolidate knowledge together.  
>Reviews are the one thing that wikis typically lack.  

Indeed, this is even the point of wiki, to be able to publish widely before 
reviews. Reviews can only happen post-facto.

>I’m also not sure friction to contribute alone explains why many prefer
>to post how-tos on their personal blog post—we accept contributions to
>https://guix.gnu.org/blog (Markdown!) as well, and they are sometimes a
>starting point for new sections of the Cookbook.

My (imaginated) target is not so much the people that already have a blog, than 
all those others that have no place to publish.

>Bottom line: it’s okay that people post how-tos on their own sites, it’s
>even the sign of a healthy growing community.  

Agreed.

> To me the question is
>more about the level of quality assurance we want for the “official”
>documentation.

Exactly. This is the main question. I think it would be a good tradeoff to 
have, less quality assurance for more contributions and involvement. This 
impacts also what we mean by "official documentation" (to me only the Guix 
Manual, and in a way the Guix blog). I see Cookbook as a compilation of various 
tips and tricks that doesn't have to be as up-to-date and precise than the 
rest. And I would rather have it in wiki to be able to amend it when I find 
something wrong in it.

We could also have an official Cookbook as a curated list of articles drafted 
on a wiki.

As an example of the "official" disclaimer 《 [...] wiki serves as a repository 
for user-contributed PostgreSQL documentation. The PostgreSQL project does not 
endorse any of the documentation on this site; it provides the wiki as a means 
for users to share documentation and notes developed from their own experiences 
with PostgreSQL. 》

One big negative point for wiki is managing spam. But some registration process 
can avoid most problems.

I think I understand your fears of an unmanageable mass of bad out-of-date 
broken documentation and the reassurance given by review and commit rights. I 
think Guix already have a lot on its plate managing the amount of code 
contributions (even if it has improved a lot) and that being a lot more lenient 
on some community content would be an improvement. I could very well be 
mistaken, and as said earlier I am not volunteering to do any work on that so 
my words are just... words :-)

Thanks for all your answers and for the great work behind Guix.
avalenn

Reply via email to