Le 28 septembre 2026 10:12:05 GMT+02:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <[email protected]> a 
écrit :
>Hello,
>
>Untrusem <[email protected]> skribis:
>
>> Now on the topic of WIKI
>
>Every time this has come up in the past 15 years, this has seen pushback
>by some of us (myself included) because we don’t want to have a mess of
>a wiki that is outdated and/or doesn’t match the version of Guix one is
>actually using.

Of course the wiki will be at place outdated or with bad information. But I 
think it will be curated and improved by the community. Nupedia "lost" against 
Wikipedia because the ease of contributing offsets a lot of the problems that 
lack of curation can bring.

3 years ago I would have been on your side but the Guix community has grown a 
lot and I really think a collaborative wiki would be good for Guix today.

>The Cookbook was created to serve this purpose: 

The friction to participate in the Cookbook is too high in my opinion. The 
sheer fact that you must open a pull request and iterate on reviews is a 
friction that either stops a lot of people or make them publish elsewhere. If 
you add the needed knowledge of texinfo (even if only perceived and not real) 
this is just a blocker.

For frequent contributors (and more so those with commit rights) this friction 
is quite imperceptible but for the vast majority of us I think it can not 
really be overcome.

I think the energy taken by trying to improve the cookbook or other similar 
endeavours would be better directed to animate and moderate a wiki content.

Just my 2 cents. I am not going to do the work either way with my life being 
what it is, so you doers should have the last say.

Cheers,
Avalenn

Reply via email to