> I'm reminded of Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto....
one
> of the items:
> "Min/maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game; they're
> problems with the player."
> 
> No matter what game system, there is a way to break it if you are
> determined enough. Personally, I'd rather spend my energy enjoying a
game's strong
> points than wasting that energy looking for its weaknesses.

My problem wasn't so much with the Min/Maxing in 4e as much as with I
just don't think that it is balanced. Normally I don't care about game
balance but I kind of feel that in 4e it's a little out of hand.

What I mean by this is that if you give all of the characters 300
points, in my experience, you aren't going to get characters that are
even close to the same power levels. Some will be way overpowered; some
will be very under powered. Just look at the examples in the 4e core
books. Those are some of the most worthless high point characters I've
ever seen. While I understand that it's a GM's job to keep things
balanced, I feel that it is a lot harder to do in 4e and basically it
just isn't worth the effort.

In a nutshell my problem with 4e is this: I don't see any improvement
over 3e and in fact I think 3e does just about everything better. I
think GURPS 3e is the best system out there. I would have much rather
seen 4e just clean it up a bit and make some of the optional rules
standard (like switching ST and HT) rather then change the entire
character creation system.

I loved 3e (and still do) because I always felt that I could give a
group of players 150 points and they would all come up with the
characters that they wanted that were believable and ,even if
munchkined, balanced. 4e doesn't even come close.

I guess I shouldn't complain though. Since 4e came out I've been able to
get all of my 3e books dirt cheap. :-) I DO like a lot of the things
that they've put into 4e. Many of the new spells are very cool. I like
some of the changes that they've made to combat. (I'm glad that they got
rid of chambara, which I never used and included some options to get
past high defenses). I really like the new Infinity setting and am
currently running an Infinity game right now.


Let us pray the Pimp's prayer: 
Lord, please pray for the soul of this bitch and guide my pimp hand and
make it strong Lord, so that she might learn a hoe's place. Amen
-A Pimp Named Slickback, The Boondocks

Erik Holmes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: ErikHolmes & Erickh0510
ICQ: 2593395
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  
_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to