I've avoided entering into the mage vs fighter debate so far because it just isn't an issue in my games... I commonly have players move away from playing mages in favour of fighters because a lot more weirdness happens to my mages. In my games there is a whole world they perceive that the non-mages rarely can... and they usually end up with more creatures/governments gunning for them. ;) However, I've commonly had folks take lower attributes (tho only once IQ) commonly Health and Strength are what gets dropped but I've even have had folks drop dex... if they felt it was appropriate.
But I think that has a lot to do with how I have my players make characters, they type of players that are interested in my games, and the games I run. My games are not for everyone... and a lot of die hard gamers aren't interested in them. The point is that both sides here seem to fail to realize that a mage vs fighter discussion isn't really accurate no matter which house rules you follow... it has everything to do with the GM. I've ran and played in some horribly unbalanced systems and had them work because the GM's style fit the system. The biggest advantage I've found with GURPs is that it can be balanced to fit almost any GM (which really isn't something other systems do easily). -Sue _______________________________________________ GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]> http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l
