Hello, I bought material to make my first bustle dress, I am going to
try and emulate a gown I have in a La Mode Parisiennes fashion plate
 from 1880 with consideration of Edna Pontellier's white cotton ensemble
at the beginning of Grand Isle.
What I am trying to get down is how to do knife pleating. I have read
many different instructions on how to make the pleats, but how can one
acheive a sharp pleat that holds through the whole length to the bottom
edge? The material I am using is like a lightly woven, delicately
stiffened, cotton linen with mild sheen to it and can imagine it would
crease well but how can I get it to hold the shape? I have heard of
permanent press, is there a chemical used professionally to create
permanent creases?

Justine.