For Ph.D. hoods, at least in the U.S., the width of the velvet tells the degree. The color of the velvet tells the discipline. The lining of the hood tells the institution. Some institutions, such as Rutgers, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, and the University of Rochester, also have official robe colors, although the individual can always choose black. Master's hoods have narrower bands the color of which, I believe, tells only the type of Master's (M.A., M.S., etc.), and a lining in the institution's colors. Bachelor's hoods, which contrary to common practice should not be worn TO the ceremony but should be awarded AT the ceremony, have the narrowest velvet, again coded only to type of Bachelor's (B.A. white, B.S. gold), and a lining in the institution's colors. Where I used to teach the graduates wore their Bachelor's hoods to the ceremony, and that's why students in the program I used to teach in looked distinctive: we always gave a champagne breakfast for our graduates before the ceremony, and I was in charge of turning their hoods right-side-up before they left for the ceremony, and they were often the only ones there who had it right! The things ARE rather counter-intuitive to put on, but if someone would explain to the kids that the little loops are meant to go around a shirt button I think they'd figur out how to get it on right-side-up eventually.

On the robe: the Ph.D. robe has full sleeves with three horizontal velvet stripes and is worn closed; the M.A. robe has bat-wing sleeves, traditionally sewn closed across the bottom and with a horizontal slit at about the elbow for the arm to come through (but cheap robes may have open sleeves that come down to the elbow in front and are angled longer in back--yes, no place for tissues, car keys, or the Times crossword) and is worn open, held in place by long crossing ties attached to the inside of the robe (although cheap robes just have zippers and therefore can't attractively be worn open). Bachelor's gowns have full sleeves longer in back than in front, like typical angel costumes in school pageants, and are worn closed. I believe outside the U.S. there is a wider variety of robe styles.

Theoretically here only Ph.D.s are entitled to the soft square cap instead of the mortarboard (and only they get the gold tassel), but many M.A.s who own their regalia wear the soft cap too, but with a black tassel. All due appreciation for tradition, but why BUY something that makes one look like an idiot? Yes, my colleague from New Zealand had a "floppy" cap of which I continue to be very jealous.

Now that I'm a Roads Scholar (one of the many nicknames for people who teach part-time at several institutions at once) I don't get invited to participate in graduation, so things may have changed over the last decade or so.

--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer