From: R Lloyd Mitchell <rmitch...@staff.washjeff.edu>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 9:20 am
Subject: Re: [h-cost] possibly OT -- Academic Hoods

Yes, the hat I described is the floppy one...and now seems to be the major
style
of  Phds at W&J, Pa.
After reading some of the other replies, it would appear that the color scheme
is not totally understood. Math and all of the other disciplines have a
traditional color so that if you are watching a 'parade', you can identify what
department the wearer represents. The other color identifies what Institution
the degree was gained. The style of the hood itself identifies the Degree of
higher learning. Thus, ubless every one went to the same university  the colors
will make their own honorific statement.
Kathleen