On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Alon Altman wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Eli Billauer wrote:
>
> > This is the classic paradigm held by Microsoft: The user has no idea
> > what he or she wants, let's push our suggestions. That's why you never
> > know what happens next when you run Windows.
> >
> > Why are we imitating?
> >
> > Let's think who comes to our sites: Ourselves, those looking for
> > concrete info (lectures and such) and those who just heard about Haifux.
> >
> > The two first groups will be mildly annoyed. The third group will get
> > the impression that all Haifux does is W2L.
>
> You're ignoring a fourth important group. This group includes people who
> saw the paper ads to the W2L series and followed the link to www.haifux.org,
> or heard a friend mention Haifux to them. Some of these people are not very
> fluent with English and might think they have the wrong address if they see
> the regular Haifux page.

and if they had a very clear link, at the top of the page, written in
hebrew, that links to the newcomers series, that's all they realy need.
what you're doing now, is fix a bug in the ads, by breaking the web site.
now, didn't the ads contain '/newcomers' as part of the URL?

> Most new visitors to Haifux come via a search engine to an internal page,
> and are not affected by the redirect. I agree the we should not redirect
> people who visited Haifux via a link (from a search engine or otherwise),
> but just those who typed the URL in (I can add this simple fix).

well, what are you waiting for? add it, until you come back to your
senses, and disable this silly redirection. and until then, make the
english link at the top of the site _MUCH MUCH_ larger.. for example,
large enough so it will be noticeable - they way it is written, it seems
like a link to some legal mambo-jambo, that is common on sites, and
usually appears in a very very small font (not to mention making it black,
which makes it hardly noticeable).

lets try to avoid breaking things that work, while trying to fix things
that don't.

> > I think that a link in large font, possibly in red, near the top of the
> > original page is enough to make it clear for any curious surfer that
> > there is going to be a set of lectures. Don't worry, some of our
> > potential visitors have the motoric ability to click a link, not to talk
> > about the wisdom of choice.
>
> This link exists in any case. There is also a small English link at the
> top of the newcomers site for people redirected by mistake.

the link on haifux's front page is written in english, and using wording
that makes it not so clear that it is indeed a link. better write instead
"click here to get to the new 'welcome to linux' page". and have it in
hebrew, with words such as "lich'tzu kan kedei lir'ot et hadaf shel
sidrat ha'hartzaot 'bruchim habaim lelinux' hachadasha". if you have the
link in this way, you'll be able to drop the redirect, and avoid the
confusion.

and until then, at least make the english link at the top of the W2L page
much much more visible.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,