Hi Lukas,
Thanks for your response in length. As I mentioned earlier, I was not aware
that the people from discourse forum and this email d-list group are same.
I am 100% new to HAProxy.

Let me explain my current situation in-detail in this email thread, Kindly
check if you or other people from the group can guide me.

Our requirement to use HAProxy is NOT to load balance back-end (Weblogic
12c) servers, we have a singe backend instance (ex: PIA1), our server
capacity is not high to handle the heavy traffic during peak load, the peak
load occurs only 2 times in a year, that's a reason we are not scaling up
our server resources as they will be idle majority of the time.

we would like to use HAProxy to throttle http/tcp connections during the
peak load, so that weblogic backed will not go to Out-Of-Memory
state/PeopleSoft will not crash.

To achieve http throttling,when setting maxconn to back end , HAProxy queue
up further connections and releases once the active http connections become
idle,however how weblogic works is, once the PeopleSoft URL is accessed and
user is authenticated , cookie will be inserted to browser and cookie will
be active by default 20 minutes, which mean even if user does not navigate
and do anything inside the application, cookie session state will be
retained in weblogic java heap. weblogic allocates small amount of memory
in order to retain each active sessions (though memory allocation
increase/decrease dynamically based on various business functionality i).
as per current capacity , weblogic can retain only 100 session state ,
which means, I don't want to forward any further connections to weblogic
until some of the sessions from 100 are released (by default the session
will be released when user clicks explicitly on signout button or
inactivity timeout reaches 20 minutes).

according to my understanding, maxconn in back-end throttles connections
and releases to back-end as and when tcp connection status changed to idle,
but though connections are idle, logout/signout not occurred from
PeopleSoft, so that still session state are maintained in weblogic and not
released and cannot handle further connections.

that's reason, I am setting the maxconn in front end and keeping HTTP alive
option ON, so that I can throttle connections at front end itself.
According to my POC, setting maxconn in front-end behaves differently than
setting in back-end, when it is on front-end, it hold further connections
in kernel , once the existing http connections are closed, it allows
further connections inside, in this I dont see any performance issue for
existing connections.

for your information HAProxy and Weblogic are residing in a same single VM.

please let me know if my above understanding is correct about maxconn. Is
there any understanding gap ? is there any way to achieve my requirement
differently?

when decided to use maxconn in front-end, the connection queuing for few
milli seconds and seconds are OK, but when connections are queued in
minutes, would like to emit some meaningful message to user, that's a
reason asked if there is any way to display custom message when connections
are queued in Linux kernel.

to answer Luaks question, weblogic does not logout user when tcp connection
is closed. weblogic creates new connections as and when required.

Best Wishes,
Vel