On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Hans Aberg wrote:

> At 14:36 -0500 98/10/09, Jan Skibinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >    Could Haskell ever be used for serious scientific computing?
>
>   I think you need to define "scientific computing": There is usually a
> tradeoff between runtime abstraction/generality and speed. Haskell provides
> some generality on the expense of speed.

        I do not think it is possible to clearly define the phrase.
        It may mean different things to different people.
        Personally, I would extend it to "scientific/engineering
        computing" to stress practical aspect of some computations.

        A practicing engineer might be interested in job at hand
        and not pretending doing any science whatsoever. Yet he/she
        would need a reliable tool that could handle the size of
        the problem (be it 10, 100, 1000, or million nodes or dimensions
        ) in reasonable time.

>   Haskell could probably be made more usable by allowing classes be written
> in another language and used from Haskell or vice versa.

        Good point!
        Although not ideal but it has some practical connotation.
        I think Ocaml is going this route, since many of its routines
        are written in C, and their tools are excellent for interfacing
        with C.

        Jan