> While you're at it, why not include gcc 2.95.3 in your list? :)

The same code currently compiles cleanly with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, Borland
5.5, and MinGW 1.0.1-20010726 (gcc version 2.95.3-5).  When I built it several
days ago (before several modifications) it also built on my older RedHat 6.2
system using egcs-1.1.2.  RedHat 7.2 is giving me ALL KINDS of fits with my
older video card, SCSI controller, network card, etc.  It seems that if you
aren't using hardware made in the last 5 years, forget about trying to get
RedHat 7.x to automatically recognize the devices.

You can build the Full and Standard SDK using Borland and they both work fine
in Half-Life single player (Full) or multiplayer (Standard).  You can build
both the Full and Standard using MinGW, but the function pointers (for
SetThink, SetUse, SetTouch, etc.) don't get saved properly in the Save/Restore
stuff and that borks up the single player support (but multiplayer still works
fine since it don't use the Save/Restore stuff).

You can build the client DLL code using all three compilers, but only the
Microsoft compiler will handle the VGUI library properly.  I've tried just
about everything I can think of to get Borland and MinGW using the vgui.lib
exported symbols (used "impdef" and "implib" in Borland and used "dlltool" in
MinGW to generate converted name mangled library, but the C++ linkage is still
borked up for those).  I even tried manually loading the vgui DLL (using
LoadLibrary) and mapping the functions directly (using GetProcAddress), but of
course that only causes much pain and anguish.  :(

I think the simplest solution to the VGUI library stuff is to strip out VGUI
from the client DLL code (if you are building it that way) and provide a small
DLL file that does the necessary VGUI root Panel initialization to at least get
the display initialized properly.  This DLL will need to be created using
Microsoft Visual C++, but I can just export one function (InitDisplay) that
will do everything necessary to allow someone to build the client DLL using a
compiler other than Microsoft Visual C++ (as long as they also include my
InitDisplay.dll file somewhere in their MOD).

I guess the Egon stuff isn't a bug in my patches, so I'll begin packaging up
the diff changes and release something in a few days.

Jeffrey "botman" Broome