Thanks, but I should have been clearer, they are already 32 bit (24bit
colour) and transparent, but when HL converts them to 16 bit the palette it
chooses seems to be very limited (or at least not optimized for our
images), so I get banding in large areas of similar colours.  If I knew
more about how HL does the conversion to 16-bit, then I could adjust our
class screenshots accordingly to make them look as good as possible.  Other
mods like CS have done a pretty good job with this, but I expect they had
graphics artists who knew about things like this instead of coders who
throw on graphics artist hats when they have to ;)  That's the problem with
being a coder isn't it, you need to be competent in all areas of creating a
mod from graphics, to mapping, to modelling.

Rob Prouse
http://www.tourofdutymod.com