the mod i'm working on currently is still in the alpha stages and we have
yet to deal with this issue yet so excuse me if this idea is stupid or
incorrect in a way.

it is a bit hackish but what if you were to create a locked cvar on the
client ( cl_clientversion for example ) witch is checked by the on connect
if it is not equal to the current server version then send a vgui popup
warning message to the client then disconnect them from the server.