Hey list,

got a few questions:

1. Does anybody know if it's possible to have a sound be emitted that
only the player it was meant for can hear? As far as I know all sounds
are emitted into the world. I might be making a hitbleep system similar
to quake, wet, et:qw and dystopia, roughly I think it would look like
this in the ontakedamage class:
pAttacker->PlayAttackerHearableSoundOnly( "soundname" );
or
pInflictor->PlayInflictorHearableSoundOnly( "soundname" );

well the function is bogus ofcourse since it doesn't exist. So does
anybody know?

2. I want different grenades to have different explosion "sprites"
however it doesn't seem to be working, I have altered some things so
explosion info sends along a flag for the grenade that's having the
explosion and then used that in the following if else structure:
    if ( m_Material_FireCloud == NULL )
    {
        if ( private_fo_explFlags == FO_EXPL_SAILBOAT )
            m_Material_FireCloud = pSimple->GetPMaterial(
"effects/boat_expl" );
        else if ( private_fo_explFlags == FO_EXPL_STOPWATCH )
            m_Material_FireCloud = pSimple->GetPMaterial(
"effects/stopwatch_expl" );
        else
            m_Material_FireCloud = pSimple->GetPMaterial(
"effects/fire_cloud2" );
    }

doesn't seem to be working, for another grenade I also done this by
copying the entire class for explosion effects(very bad I know!)
That worked but this doesn't seem to work, so there must be something
else determining what the explosion looks like?
and if things get more complex then this I may be better off making some
derived classes for each grenade, but again I would need to know how to
specify the different explosion "sprite"

3. I've tried for about a week to freeze viewmodel animations, I decided
to abandon it, in a brainstorming session with my lead tester and public
relations "manager" there were 2 things I would consider good to go for.
The 1st would be too somehow prevent the client from receiving ANY
updates, although I'm not sure if this is possible and if client side
physics will still be received(ragdolls?).

Assuming that this can be done I would picture it as a kind of
gamefreeze happening, then when the freezetime is over the player's
world gets updated again as if he skipped out of time a few
seconds.(which is what my grenade kinda does :P)

If not I'll probably be going for a heavy viewshake like a kind of
sideeffect of the "timefreeze" grenade and you're weapon being
lowered/holstered until the "timefreeze" is over.
Third option which I kinda don't think is possible without a huge
degrade in quality would be too block the players view completely with a
huge picture, but like I said I think it might not look very good so I
don't know of a efficient way to overlay a big picture on top of the
players screen+hud.

Welll that was it :)
Any help would be appreciated