If it's a GoldSRC game, then he might not be lying. I've seen D3D mode do
some *strange* stuff in my time, but Software mode takes the cake on that
on top of not even bothering to *try* rendering many different things.

For one thing, it's not uncommon for players and entities to be rendered
on top of masked or partially-transparent textures that they're behind.

Ask him for screenshots, and link us to them. We've got a pretty decent
chance to tell if it's a hack or a bug.