The "unused" content servers probably don't have the update on them to
serve out to users at that particular point in time for some reason or
other.  Filtered content servers are restricted by IP address ranges,
not to specific Steam user accounts.

Running your own content server is a significant investment not just in
hardware (thats the small part really), but also bandwidth as they can
use extreme amounts.  Our two in Australia (that aren't filtered
currently) do a combined peak of well over 1.5Gbit of traffic, lately a
lot more than that (one of them is running at around 900Mbit right now,
the other one not far behind that).