From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Fletcher Dunn
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:52 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
(hlds_li...@list.valvesoftware.com); hlds_annou...@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds] Important changes to TF2 coming soon

There are some changes coming that TF2 server operators should know about.

CHANGES TO QUICKPLAY

-------------------------------

The next TF2 update will make two changes to quickplay:

* "Show servers" button.  This runs the ordinary quickplay search, but
instead of joining the server with the highest score, it presents the user
with an ordered list of about 20 servers and lets them pick.  This gives
players much of the convenience of quickplay by finding servers with a good
ping and players on them, but also an easy way to express a preference over
the map, server community, etc.

* We’ve added an advanced options page that allows players to opt into the
most commonly-requested non-vanilla rules changes: nocrits, maxplayers, and
instant respawn.

There are no more scoring penalties for maxplayers or rule changes; your
server either matches their search criteria or it doesn’t.

At this time, we are keeping the default quickplay option to Valve servers.
However, note that if a player wants to find a server with any of the
supported modifications, then they must land on a community server, since
Valve servers do not run with these settings.

We’ve updated the quickplay policy to more clearly specify what sorts of
server modifications are allowed in quickplay:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2825-AFGJ-3513

STEAM GAMESERVER ACCOUNTS

Gameserver accounts are now a Steam feature.  The feature is currently in
beta.

Using a steam gameserver account provides one important advantage right now:
client favorite lists are keyed by the Steam account if present.  This means
that you can move your server to another IP address, and clients who have
your server in their favorites or history will follow you to your new
location.

CREATING AN ACCOUNT:

Creating an account is currently only possible via WebAPI.  (Remember, this
feature is currently in beta.  We’ll add a nicer interface for this soon.)
Make a HTTPS POST request to the following URL:

https://api.steampowered.com/IGameServersService/CreateAccount/v0001/

The POST arguments should be:

  appid=440 (for Team Fortress)

  key=<your WebAPIKey>

<your WebAPIKey> is the WebAPI key associated with the user account that
will own the server accounts. See http://steamcommunity.com/dev for how to
get one of these.  (WARNING: Make sure and keep this key secret.  This key
is an authentication token in some respects and makes it possible to do
certain actions on your behalf.  Don’t feed the key into anybody’s nice
convenient web page that automates this.  With your WebAPI key they could
impersonate you for some actions.  If you don’t want to go through the pain
of making a WebAPI call, just wait until we have a nicer interface
implemented.)

The output of the WebAPI will be the (permanent) SteamID of your gameserver,
and a login token.  The login token is a random string of text that allows
you to actually login to your account.

You can view a list of the servers owned by a user account by making a HTTPS
GET call to:

https://api.steampowered.com/IGameServersService/GetAccountList/v0001/?key=
<https://api.steampowered.com/IGameServersService/GetAccountList/v0001/?key=
%3cyourkey> <yourkey>

LOGGING IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT (TF only for now):

Once you have a gameserver login token, you can specify your login
credentials on a Source engine server by executing this console command
sometime before it loads the first map:

sv_setsteamaccount <login token>

The server output should make it clear when you are using a Steam gameserver
account and when you are logging in anonymously.  (The ordinary gameserver
login that has always been used.)

Remember, for now you will need to login to both your Steam gameserver
account and also your TF account.  The two accounts are not related.  The TF
account is the one that determines quickplay eligibility, and the Steam one
does favorites migration.  Eventually we will remove the TF accounts and
only use Steam gameserver accounts.

HOW FAVORITES MIGRATION WORKS:

In the next few days we will release an updated Steam Client beta that knows
how to migrate favorites.  On the client, each favorite has an IP:port and a
gameserver account.  The account might be empty --- that will of course be
the case for all previously existing favorites.  Periodically, a client will
try to sync up the favorites list IP:port addresses and accounts.  If there
is an IP:port without an associated account, it will ask the master server
for information about that address.  If a server is running on that address
and logged into an account, the client will record the account.   Once the
client has an account associated with the favorite, the account becomes the
primary key and will not change.  Instead, we will periodically try to
refresh the address from the account.  (Again, this is done by querying the
master server, and it depends on your server bring logged into the account
and running on the address.)  The client always caches the last known
IP:port of a favorite, even though the account ID is the main “key".  That
way, if Steam is down, or the gameserver is down, it will used the cached
IP:port.  All of the above applies to history as well as favorites.

In the future, when a client adds a favorite or history item, the account
will be recorded immediately.

If you know you have many clients that have your server in their favorites
or history, then you should not move your server yet.  You need to give
clients time to logon with new Steam client binaries and get their favorite
entry linked up with your account.  We'll let you know when you can try out
migrating favorites, as well as when the feature is active in the public
client and all users have it.

QUESTIONS?

Since Steam gameservers are a Steam feature, all of the above will apply to
all Steam games.  (Provided that the game exposes a method for the
gameserver to log in to an account.)  Eventually, the TF2 gameserver
accounts will be going away and replaced with these accounts.  For now, they
are separate.

Any further questions about the quickplay changes or gameserver accounts?
Please direct them to this list so that all answers will be public.