>If we're really talking about player choice, here, then you have to remove
the "default effect
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_effect_(psychology)>" that gives one
group of server preferential treatment over another to achieve "true"
player choice.

I'm all for player choice. If I want to play in a community server, I
should be able to. But I also feel that Valve made a game and this game was
balanced (I know the arguments against that it's balanced, but let's say
that it's balanced as Valve wants it balanced) for 24 people. Why shouldn't
the default game be the default choice? When you play Skyrim, do you have
mods auto loaded that you didn't pick because it's community created? When
you play any other multiplayer game on a server, is the non-base game ever
selected as default?

If not, then why should TF2 default to Custom?

I know you aren't saying it should, but others here have. They want
Community servers to be the first thing that players see and IMHO, the
default game should be the first thing. Once they see that, then if they
want to explore, they can. Despite what people say that new players can't
unclick a checkbox.

The interface being passed around looks like a good compromise as long as
when you select Community for the first time, a little warning shows up
saying that the game they are entering is not the standard game and can be
modified so people know what is going on.

But yeah. The default should be ... well... the default.