> Some were terrible and cheated the system to trick players joining their
> servers. When Valve tried to stop them, they cheated the system more. Even
> after Valve constantly tried to help those community servers who played by
> the rules, the community kept calling foul.
>
> So eventually, Valve (rightly so IMHO) said "Fuck it" and made all
> community servers suspect.
>
> Valve is on the right track giving community servers who play by the rules
> equal standing for valve servers. But I'm pretty sure that some community
> is going to start gaming the system and Valve will have to say, "Fuck it"
> again.

Certainly, and that will always be the case (and is with every game out
there), but when you have to throw out all the good (and there ARE alot of
good communities out there)  then on the face of it, your system is a
failure.

If Valve looked at all their data on Snipers in the game, and decided that
too many of them were aimbotting, and their solution was to ban every
player who played the majority of their play time as a sniper, the
community would cry foul, and rightfully so.

There are a ton of better ways for dealing with nefarious server operators
than the way Valve did it, they simply chose the easy wrong over the hard
right.

For example - if their problem was people plastering their servers with
Pinion ads, than they shoudl have simply removed the ability for them to
run in the in-game web browser/MOTD.

If the issue was people suing fake bots to trick quickplay, then tie the
system to actual Steam ID's that have made a purchase in the past, or are
on accounts that are X number of days old. (i.e. only "real" steam users
get counted, etc.)

...what I'm getting at is, they gave up the fight, and let the good guys
get killed in the process. I firmly believe they're both better and smarter
than that.

and this is why I rarely post here. Because most people here are not
> willing to listen to the other side of things and meet in the middle.
> Insulting people who like the Valve servers is not the way to go if you are
> wanting to work with Valve to get some compromise going.

If you took that as an insult, my apologies, I didn't mean it as one.

My point is - You might think Valve's servers offer the best of the game,
and I think that community servers do.

In the end, we should BOTH be considered "right" - so both experiences
should be given equal exposure and treatment. As long as some of the
safeguards (i.e. a blacklist that works across the board with both
quickplay and the server browser) I mentioned above are implemented,
there's really no reason no to.

The diversity of TF2 should be celebrated and promoted, not stifled and
sidelined. Diversity gives games legs, and leads to longer player
retention. For every player that loves "vanilla" there could be players
that love fast respawn, or pl_cashworks, or even an Orange server...if they
could find them.

How many custom maps that had avid followings for 5 years now sit empty?
Some of them were the most competitive experiences I've ever had in a game,
yet without new blood finding them, eventually every custom map dies out.

Again - I'm not asking for "special" treatment, not do I think my servers
are the only kind of experience that is relevant - but I DO think they
deserve to be found, and they deserve the same chance of being found as any
other server.