Actually, decent community servers who provide value to their respective
communities generally do not have funding issues. It is possible to be a
donation driven community without handing out stupid perks. Just as it is
equally possible to innovate new features and game modes for your servers
that players actually feel like financially supporting. If you think that
MOTD advertisements are the only way to run a cost-neutral server, then I
can't help but thing that you must be running some pretty poor servers that
the community would be better without.

PS: For the amusement of all mailing list members, I'll simply point out
that Paul <ubyu....@gmail.com> is an active MOTDgd.com affiliate. This adds
context to his claim that "advertising is no longer an issue".