The level of starry-eyed idealism in this thread, whilst cute and
admirable, is completely ill-placed and out of touch with reality. The fact
is, Quickplay is only the first of many mechanisms that are inherently
hostile to privately run servers. Mann-Up rewards, contracts and soon
competitive matchmaking are even greater problems that make the Team
Fortress 2 server environment an unfriendly one to private operators.
Whilst the default Quickplay setting is certainly an issue affecting the
populations of privately run servers, I would personally argue the fact
that players are incentivised and rewarded for playing on official servers
is actually the bigger problem. Unless there is a way to address the
latter, I see little value in addressing the former – And let’s be honest,
Valve are not going to address any of the latter inequities because it’s
more trouble than its worth and the vast majority of players don’t care.

So by all means, go ahead and make your petition groups, start harassing
Valve while pretending that you speak for all private server operators,
when you do not. I suspect it will fall entirely on deaf ears. Why? Because
the only people who care about this matter are private server operators and
their friends who are clinging onto relics of the past. I personally would
like Valve to continue putting their time into creating and implementing
meaningful improvements and features such as competitive matchmaking,
irrespective of the obvious negative impact it will have on privately run
servers... And you can bet your money that competitive matches will only be
hosted on official servers, so feel free to start complaining about that
too.

Oh...and let's be even more frank: The fact that Matthias thinks that it is
possible for private-server operators to "speak for the Team Fortress
community" is a farce. Private server operators do not represent the
majority views of the present day Team Fortress 2 players and haven't for
quite a long time...Nor would Valve be foolish enough to appear to be
officially endorsing a select few individuals as "The Voice of Team
Fortress 2 Communities!"