Basically, Valve servers just had become an alternative to community
servers entirely, and you're right. Server is empty? Play on a valve
server, those are always full!

Now community servers just have a lot of stigma against them, and we need
to win everyone back. Also I'm really sleepy so I don't have anything to
add right now.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 5:47 AM, ics <i...@ics-base.net> wrote:

> >Even if you populate a server with friends,admins and regulars, they
> still wont stay populated very long.
>
> Forgot to say that before valve forwarded all traffic to their servers,
> quickplay really did its job if the server had even some players. It was
> great system untill the point of the change that killed so many community
> servers.
>
> -ics
>
> ics kirjoitti:
>
> I dont know if they still read this list, but the most popular servers out
>> there right now on the community side are the ones that run mods, orange
>> maps and trade maps. Even idle servers, despite idling now has to be
>> accepted per item drop.
>>
>> While working with this current update and had in mind a competitive
>> mode, valve worked with competitive people. People like banny. His point of
>> view is the competitive side, which majority of the people who play TF2
>> doesnt' seem to share. This update was too concentrated of dividing players
>> to competitive and casual competitive.
>>
>> Why change even casual to competitive related, useless rank related
>> thing? Better would have been just to preserve quickplay and let community
>> servers participate in it, or simply remove casual comp from the list and
>> put the server browser higher than that. Who would want to play casually
>> with competitive rules, when the game hasn't been like that for 9 years.
>> You still play competitively, just not with stop watch and such.
>>
>> However, people do not join into empty servers. There should be a carrot
>> for doing so that is still missing. Even if you populate a server with
>> friends,admins and regulars, they still wont stay populated very long.
>>
>> -ics
>>

>> Robert Paulson kirjoitti:
>>
>>> I don't see the point in casual mode recording stats at all. If it
>>> doesn't matter if you win or lose then those stats are meaningless. And
>>> people that want to play casually usually don't even want to have their
>>> badness recorded.
>>>
>>> What the TF2 team should've done was just leave quickplay in and open it
>>> to community servers. They could even still give people a rank based on
>>> play time which could be checked client-side, bypassing the servers.
>>>
>>> As everyone said already, making another server browser isn't going to
>>> persuade the 1 click play button players. As long as Valve is offering a
>>> feature like that, the only way to compete is to also have a 1 click play
>>> button for community servers.

*Matthew (Rowedahelicon) Robinson*
Web Designer / Artist / Writer
Website - http://www.rowedahelicon.com/