"Having said that, I'd like to punt this back to Phil and Sev as I speak to
people in the field, who use the data, on a regular basis. Data quality, so
far, has almost never come up as an issue. Do you guys have different
experience or feedback from field teams? It would be useful to know specifics
if you have.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,

Despite being a mapper for Red Cross, all my work is in Australia where I
generally have access to relatively high quality Government spatial data. My
interest in OSM/HOT is in support of international projects and where possible
I would love to see the best quality digitising regardless of who is doing the
work.

I know I made mistakes as a newbie as I just dived in and had a go (typical
Aussie approach!) and I suspect many first time mappers do just that, despite
there now being good tutorials around on many aspects of ID/JOSM Editor. Slowly
I found more details and have since gone back to some areas I mapped originally
to square up buildings and do other tidying. I also started mapping in my local
area until I found the HOT site so I had some experience when diving into the
humanitarian work.

I suspect you are right that any mapping is better than none for many
humanitarian projects and initial quality issues are probably overlooked but we
should endeavour to always improve. Leaving the least number of 'errors' for
the locals to clean up is a worthy goal.

A more refined web interface where actual projects are further down the page
with the initial splash screen asking folks to complete some minimal training
does not seem that onerous to me. Even a tabbed interface, to split off harder
tasks with specific notes in the header regarding the type of work that will be
involved, would make it easier to explain levels of tasks and preferred
competencies.

/ New mappers \ / Harder Tasks \ /Complex Tasks \ / Validation \

New mappers.

Tasks in this group are ideal for new mappers using the ID interface.  Check
out the videos below to understand how best to undertake the mapping and how
the data is used by requesting organisations. After the videos, select a task
from the projects below. There will be more specific instructions under each
task.

Adding Roads Video

Mapping Residential Boundaries Video

Task 1

Task2

Task 3

I hope these thoughts are useful and I am happy to help out testing any new
interface. I am not a coder but work with lots of volunteers so have a fair
idea how they think and work.

Cheers - Phil

Volunteer Mapper (GISMO) -  <http://www.redcross.org.au/volunteering.aspx> Red
Cross,  <http://wildcaretas.org.au/branches/friends-of-gis/> Wildcare Volunteer