Pierre,

Thank you for your thoughtful email.
I also want to thank you for your work over the years for OSM and HOT, I
truly appreciate your efforts.
I also want to apologize if you take offense by my efforts, please know
that I am trying to contribute in a way that improves the way OSM develops
and refine resources to help HOT tasks.
A little background on myself; for more than 25 years I have worked as a
geospatial professional and have designed and contributed to many GIS data
construction efforts and have lead projects that transitioned from a legacy
product to a more streamlined design. The frustration and mistakes
associated with inconsistent design cannot be underestimated.
If we were to start the tagging design for OSM today I believe that our
collective experience would give us something different than what we have
now.  I realize that this is not possible and I am trying to help clarify
the existing tagging to help ensure future contributions are consistent as
possible.
It is unfortunate that you were not able to be in Kampala for the State of
the Map Africa conference.  The discussion highway tagging workshop there
was very positive and constructive, and did not have strong disagreements.
Following that discussion my intent in editing the wiki was an attempt to
have the descriptions in a similar format without a long description.  I
also am trying to develop a one page guide that can be used in a mapathon
or carto-party as a tool to help new mappers. It would be best if the
language of the guide and the wiki were the same.
In terms of classification I am very sensitive to the arrogance that
sometimes can be communicated by expatriates regarding infrastructure in a
developing countries. A rough road that would not be considered worth
mapping in Europe could be a vital transportation link for a settlement
were the same construction found in Africa. I have seen many roads tagged
as highway=track when in reality the road should be either unclassified or
even tertiary.
We also have the challenge of describing major routes within an urban area.
The words used in US transportation language are "collector" and "arterial"
which imply that traffic is collected from several residential streets and
then joined with other collectors to an arterial route. This is less of an
issue than a rural setting in Africa, but still should be addressed in the
wiki.

Again, I appreciate your efforts and hope you understand that I want to
contribute to the OSM in a positive fashion.

Regards,

Emmor