Hello Matthew,

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 09:41:06 +1000, Matthew Petroff <[email protected]> wrote:

Terry,

I read the paper, and I don't think you'll be able to use your existing
images. The technique is based on first calibrating a lens to find
spatially varying point spread functions via a patch-based method and then using the known blur kernel to correct subsequent images. Without properly calibrated point spread functions, it won't work, and none of the downloads
provide their calibration target or code to generate the point spread
functions. It also only corrects for blurs inherent in the lens optics, not motion blurs.


I have a bit more of a think about this, and I am inclined to think that the method may be applicable to the correction of any image, if one can estimate the PSF. If I understand it correctly, their approach is to derive, by test, a PSF for the lens, then apply that PSF to correcting the image . If one has other methods of deriving the PSF from the subject image (or from a sharp and blurred pair as might be the case for pano work) then one could use their method to apply that PSF to correcting the image. A look in the "kernels" directory of the code package shows a kernel "motion_blur.png" and some others that have the characteristics of motion blur. The above is a tad academic right now as the only means I have of testing this is to use the code package with Octave. As you have said, some of the Matlab functions that are used are not available for Octave, and I'm not sure how I will go getting over that hurdle.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/op.w4eixuqtrs0ygh%40localhost.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to