wow, I did not expect such big and aggressive response :)
I did not meant to offend hugin hardcore fans :)

I know that PTGui is using dcraw, and there is nothing wrong with it. It is
also not true that dcraw will strip all dynamic range data. You can check
its possibilities here (https://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
All I am asking is why not give such ability to Hugin? I don't think that
would strip anyone from control. It would just add simple yet handy feature
to Hugin.

My point being: I needed simple software that gives me good result, fast
for my own simple task: create HDR panorama from raw photos (for my
personal purposes, not at work). I was checking few softwares on the market
like gigapano, ptgui, hugin and few others. Without knowing neither of
them, I wanted to give a try to each one of software ans see which one will
give me best results.
I ended up being torn apart between ptgui and hugin. While Hugin is a free
package, I was forced to deal with conversions, transferring exif infos,
dealing with color spaces during conversion and stitching was giving me
unwanted artifacts which I have tried to fix with different tools and
settings but after few hours i gave up. Ptgui on other is not available on
linux so I had to run it via wine and it payed software so two strikes on
beginning. But I was able to throw at him my raw photos directly and i got
expected result without touching a single setting, no artifacts, just
worked with single button, got expected dynamic range.
Simplicity when needed. Ended with paying for PTGui license.
Stitching HDR panoramas should be really 1-2-3 click, simple task. There is
no brainier here (from Artistic point of view).
In a large company I work for, they ended up writing own software to stitch
HDR panos automatically (as we use them for work purposes)
I am Linux user, and I work in quite complicated software on everyday
basics but If we could simplify and make some steps easier - why not?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CAFLAP745j1UjY9-oj6XrLfKsLE63b6hS6h-Oq2JM7VwbUpU2Ww%40mail.gmail.com.