On July 10, 2018 10:07:07 PM HST, Erik Krause <erik.kra...@gmx.de> wrote:
>Am 10.07.2018 um 17:10 schrieb Albert Szostkiewicz:
>> Personally I am interested in stitching 360 full, true HDR images. I
>am
>> hoping to stitch and get as much of original data as I can. With
>PtGui for
>> eg. I am able to throw my Canon RAWs directly and proper exposure
>merge is
>> being applied. With Hugin I am forced to use 3rd party apps for
>conversion
>> into TIFF or other format witch adds one more step of possible
>mistake.
>
>raw data is by no means image data, it's the raw reading from the
>sensor
>and it's awful. PTGui uses dcraw for conversion, which does a very
>basic
>job. Using dcraw you loose almost all benefits of shooting raw
>including
>correction of chromatic aberration, moiré, white balance, dead or hot
>pixels, highlight restoration or noise reduction. You might well get
>better images using jpeg straight from the camera. You don't get the
>full dynamic range either, since dcraw clips all channels to the lowest
>
>channel (thus avoiding a tint in clipped highlights). It is far better
>to use a decent and dedicated raw converter.

Well, I think dcraw actually is a dedicated raw converter (it doesn't do
anything else) and certainly seems to offer a lot of command line options
(including dead or hot pixels, noise reduction, highlight clipping/no
clipping/blending/reconstruction, etc):

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/dcraw.1.html

By the way, a blown highlight in a RAW file is a hard max value, not a color
value outside the limits of a particular color space the way it would be in a
image file.

Still, I prefer a more interactive and visual process. Color, sharpening,
contrast/microcontrast, noise reduction - all very much determined by how the
image looks. Rawtherapee lets me come up with (say) base settings for a
panorma's component images and apply them en masse, then tweak each image as
needed, then batch convert.

David W. Jones
gnomeno...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/914B1B74-6612-43A4-A715-010625FF7C78%40gmail.com.