On 09/01/2009 05:49 AM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, m.wolkst...@gmx.de wrote:
>
>>> And it would be not easy to control several instances of hydrogen via
>>> midi. Each one needs it own configuration file and a utility which
>>> writes those files. I think it could be done, but it would be a new
>>> application beside hydrogen (like hydrogenPlayer).
>>> - Sebastian
>>>
>> yes, that's what i mean. and controls fore each instance are maybe play,
>> stop/pause, rwd, fwd, pitch bpm, main volume and maybe mute single
>> instruments.
>>
> FWIW, this sort of thing is why I want to spin off libhydrogen and also
> UN-singleton everything.  By having H2Core::Hydrogen (and friends) be
> singleton classes means that you need separate processes in order to get
> this sort of behavior.
>
> On the other hand, if the classes weren't singlton, a player app. could
> have several instances of Hydrogen open and running... which makes it
> easier to control all of them in a tight manner.

- Being able to control several instances of Hydrogen patterns is the
ultimate goal. Ideally it wouldn't require a completely new version of
the running app because that is going to confuse AL users.

Perhaps it will be possible for two different modes. In sampler mode the
Sampler creates the instances and the gui reacts accordingly and in
standard mode it functions as currently designed.

- This is definitely a major issue in terms of gaining AL like
flexibility for playback. The main point is that the sampler needs to be
able to have multiple samples/patterns playing at the same time.

As there is already functionality for playing multiple patterns via the
main window it would not be much to allow the sampler buttons to trigger
the playback for each pattern.

That is a significant different from playing back complete songs
individually but it would allow for a faster implementation of the
sampler interface.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd