At 01:25 -0400 on 09/03/2010, Gabe Goldberg wrote about Re: Virginia DOT outage:

The problem wasn't checking license validity, it was renewing licenses. They've extended by 20 days validity of licenses which expired Aug 25-Sept 2 or so, are keeping DMV offices open extra hours and days, and have notified police regarding the extension. And some measure I didn't quite catch to address the renewals backlog is in effect until Oct 1. Most importantly and helpful, of course, the governor is on record as being "displeased": http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=357

"Robert A. Rosenberg" said:
 >    >  ... police are not sighting people who are stopped and found to
have recently expired licenses.

If the police are not sighting them, how are they stopping them --
and how do they know their licences are recently expired?
While they are SIGHTING them, the problem is that they are not CITING
them. When they are stopped and hand over an expired license there is
no need to check the computer - the document itself has an expired
date on it. All checking with the computer would do is verify if the
license had been renewed (and thus was in force). Also the computer
check would be needed to spot a license whose expiration date had not
yet been reached but which had been suspended.

You are not exactly responding to my comment/observation. If I get stopped by a cop and hand over my license they can see by just looking at it if it has an expired date. The need to check with the computer is for other checks. This includes seeing if I have renewed the license (ie: Handed them the wrong one), if the license has been suspended (which can not be seen by just looking at one which has a still valid date on it), and if there are any warrants outstanding for me. The question of RENEWING an expiring/expired license is different issue that has NOTHING to do with the police checking on the validity of the license which has been given to them by a driver.