On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:34:43 -0400, Don Poitras wrote:

>They weren't injured, but you have to believe they were pretty scared
>when the plane they were flying last Saturday was met by armed men
>screaming at them. The 'criminals'? John and Martha King. Known throughout
>the US for their many pilot training courses. Made the bad mistake
>of flying a plane with a tail number the same as one that had been
>stolen eight years ago. Different model Cessna, but I don't really
>blame the police for not knowing the difference. The fault was in
>not updating the database when the tail number was re-issued.
>
>http://www.avweb.com/newspics/galleries/marthaking-securitymistake/large/02.jpg
>http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/John_Martha_King_Held_At_Gunpoint_203205-1.html

Messy.  It's likely that the database used by the police was separate
from and independent from the one used by the issuing agency (FAA?).
Best practice would probably be to search all known databases at time
of issue and decline to issue it if it exists elswhere.  Don't assume
that if it can be purged from all other known databases it is recorded
nowhere else.

-- gil