On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:42:45 -0500, Jim Mulder <d10j...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> >I wonder what if any studies on this have been done in the lab.
>> >It would be nice if an IBM performance expert  like Kathy Walsh
>> >could weigh in.

Thanks for jumping in Jim!   I hoped you or Peter would eventually
to clear up some of this FUD.

>  The last performance studies I remember for paging were
>around the time of MVS XA/SP2.2.0.  Very little has been done
>in the area of paging performance since then except for the
>PAV stuff to allow two concurrent operations to a page data set.

Even though "zero" demand paging is best and what many shops
strive / configure for these days, I think it's time for a new study
based on modern architecture and what the OS now does.

>  The page data set selection algorithm considers service time for
>the devices, but not the full percentage.  One could argue that
>the full percentage should be considered, since it affects the
>likihood of finding contiguous slots, and the CPU time to find
>available slots, but that is not how it currently works.

I'm going to take a giant leap of faith here and say there is zero to
negligible performance impact in having a farm of 3390-27 local
page datasets running at 50% full compared to having them
at 30% (or less).   Maybe 69% is fine too.  No higher - we certainly
don't want to hit that 70% MCCASMT1 threshold!  :-)

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com