All,

Another element of paging that has not been referenced is the ability to
handle all of the swap set size in parallel. If the swap set size is 120
pages then the old practice was to have at least four LOCALS so each thirty
page block of pages could be swapped-in in parallel. While swapping, like
paging, is not as prevalent as it once was I'm wondering if the swap set
size is still one of the principal guidelines for the number of locals that
should be defined.

For HDS VSP customers there is a new facility called MF-HDP that allows for
some very wide striping of volumes across the available spindles. If you are
using or plan to use MF-HDP then LOCALS would be very good candidates for
HDP pool volumes. You can allocate a 3390-3, 9, 27, 54 or A as a virtual
volume within the pool, but initially the space you use will be a 672 track
block that contains the volume label, VTOC, Index and VVDS. Then when you
define and format you LOCAL you will only use space equal to the size of the
page dataset rounded up to 672 tracks.

So if you want to allocate a 3390-54 for your locals, but only make them
5000 CYLS in size you should go for it, because the 60020 CYLS of empty
space won't actually use any space in the HDP pool. If you handled this
concept on Iceberg and the RVA then you're well on your way to wrapping your
head around this with MF-HDP?

The other advantage of this is the wide striping I mentioned. Each 30 page
set of contiguous slots will be within the same page, but the page is
striped across the underlying parity group disks. There won't be much
advantage for block page-in for each set of thirty pages, but you don't have
to worry about hand placing all your locals across the parity groups. The
wide striping will uniformly distribute all the page datasets across all the
underlying parity groups and disks. If you have 128 parity groups of R6
6D+2P then the read miss and destage activity of your locals, no matter how
many, will be uniformly spread across 1024 disk drives.

Ignoring UCB constraints, it kind of makes minimizing the number of locals
an academic exercise. If you think you need eight locals then allocate
sixteen that are half the size on 3390-A. You will still only use the same
amount of disk space.

Ron

Behalf Of