On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 23:12:48 -0600, Barbara Nitz <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote:

>>So if I have 5 3390-27 locals and they are all equally used at 50%, the
>>algorithms (CPU usage, not I/O) are going to pick one of them, then do the
>>page outs.  That paging will find contiguous slots and should be efficient.
>>
>>BTW, this is just an example, we still try to keep our 3390-27 local usage
>>at 30% just like we always did with smaller local page datasets in
>>the past.
>>
>>I wonder what if any studies on this have been done in the lab.
>>It would be nice if an IBM performance expert  like Kathy Walsh
>>could weigh in.
>
>I had the 'honour' of deleting and adding several local page data sets on
>several lpars. They were a mixture of 1.10 and 1.12, I think. What I did
>observe (and that clashed with what I thought I knew about ASM) is the
>following:
>
>1) Adding one or more locals, I expected them to first fill up to about the
>same percentage as the ones that were already in use (same size page ds, much
>faster -new- controller). No such luck. It looked to me like *all* of them
>were filling up (percentage wise) in about the same manner. Meaning that the
>'old' locals had about 27%, the new ones right after add 0%. A day later the
>old ones had 35%, the new ones 8%. About the same behaviour when adding locals
>of the same size on the same controller - we only have one DASD controller per
>sysplex, and having two was the time when we migrated from one to the other.

Sounds like they all had contiguous slots and were used evenly based on that.

>2) A pagedel finishes MUCH faster than it ever did. It looked like ASM is
>actively shifting slots away from the to-be-deleted page data set. A pagedel
>finishes in under a minute. This used to be a really slow process because
>nothing was actively done.
>
>3) In one case, I had two locals and pagedel'd one of them. Usage of the
>remaining one went up to 46%, pagedel was extremely fast. I then added a new
>local (on a new, different, much faster controller). Usage of that one stayed
>at 0% for a long time, which also surprised me.

*WARNING*    If you are going to be replacing page datasets, better to use the
REPLACE
option of PAGEDEL as opposed to DELETE then doing a PAGEADD.  Not doing so
can lead to ESQA shortages.  See the MVS commands manual for more detail.

<snip>

>6) I bemoan IBMs failure to give us a good means of figuring out who is using
>HVSHARE or HVCOMMON storage and how much storage-above-the-bar is actually
>*used*, i.e. backed. As far as I know, there still isn't any tracking done for
>HVCOMMON storage, no means of reporting about it. No way to know who is
>excessively using common storage above the bar. Same for HVSHARE. Unless
>you're named Jim Mulder and know where to look in a dump, us lowly customers
>cannot even check that in a dump. Am I mistaken in the reporting capabilities?
>Has that been fixed by now? Or is it another means of IBM trying to sell $$$$
>software service contracts to get that done only by IBM? Not to mention the
>frustration until you find someone who can actually *do* it.

Not sure how much info you are looking for, but there is RMF III and my RXSTOR64
exec on my web site / CBT file 434.   If you want to see what the sample output
looks like, here is a screen shot - http://www.mzelden.com/rxstor64.html

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com