MXG added variable SLOTUTIL back in '97 with this change text:

Change 15.064  Variable SLOTUTIL is added to dataset TYPE71 to measure
VMAC71         the percentage of local page dataset slots that are in
Apr 28, 1997   use.  Find the maximum value of SLOTUTIL during the month
               to make sure you have enough page dataset slots defined.
               SLOTUTIL should always be less than 25% (because the
               ASM's contiguous slot allocation algorithm can move 30
               pages in one SSCH only when there are 30 contiguous free
               slots, and at utilizations above 25%, ASM begins to not
               find 30 slots, so it tries to find 15, then 8... which
               causes lots of extra SSCHs to your page volumes at the
               very worst possible time - those few times when paging
               becomes a performance problem!).  I have preached this
               concept, but had not provided the variable (and the value
               I used in class turns out to need to be changed):
                 SLOTUTIL=(SLOTLOMN-SLOTUNMN)/SLOTLOMN;
               compares the minimum number of defined local slots with
               the minimum number of unused local slots to calculate the
               maximum utilization of slots during the interval.

That note was based on a CMG or SHARE presentation I had attended
years earlier, when the contiguous slot allocation algorithm was first
being used, and the presentation was a smooth curve, output from a
model, rather than actual measurements, so there was no real knee of
the curve, but somewhere in the 25-30% range was noted as the beginning
of possible pain.

Since one of the consequences of breaking the contiguous slot allocation
is an increase in the number of SSCHs to the paging volumes, and since
you all have dedicated devices, you should be able to plot the SSCH count
to your local page datasets from RMF 74 records versus the SLOTUTIL from
the 71 to see where your site's knee is located.

Barry Merrill