Standard answer:  "It depends."

1.  If transferred as a "plain" ASCII transfer, packed decimal fields
will get corrupted.

2.  If transferred as a "binary" transfer, packed decimal fields are
preserved (indeed, the whole file remains EBCDIC).

Given Eric's description of the nature of the data, I'd probably do a
binary transfer and worry about translating it to ASCII (with
packed-decimal preservation/translation) when retrieving it on the ASCII
machine.

    -jc-