From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Hal Merritt
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Another BIG Mainframe Bites the Dust

You are showing your MF bias. Many believe that occasional outages and
reduced security levels are not only acceptable, but are to be expected.

Most of us know that the cost of availability rises exponentially as you
approach 100% on any platform. The selection of a availability
percentage (and therefore how much to spend) is a business decision.

There are many business cases where even prime time outages are very
acceptable. For example, only two of our 12 LPARS has any availability
SLA.

My $0.02