>Another "codeword" one might encounter is "overqualified", especially if one
>is beyond a certain age....

Except in the case where you are willing to take a large cut and may bail if
something better come along, I have not found that to be the case in the
mainframe world.

As a matter of fact my (at the time) 23 years experience was the biggest
selling point in getting this gig.
Also, they said that, due to my 'maturity' (euphimism for advanced age[?]), the
didn't require me to move to California, as long as I communicated (phone,
e-mail, I/M, etc).

When in doubt.
PANIC!!